27 January 2015

What if he had lived longer?

I am convinced that Mozart, had he not died so tragically young, could've done for music what Beethoven did later.

Anyway, one more post: his unfinished Requiem. Specifically, the Kyrie.


A couple things to notice:

  • the use of basset horn (marked by the gold diamonds) in the introduction; the basset horn is an alto/tenor clarinet in F with a low range extended to C (in modern instruments)--and remember, Mozart was the first major composer to write extensively for clarinets in general
  • the double fugue in the Kyrie--I told you he was getting good at this counterpoint thing
I am planning on writing a Mass someday, maybe a Requiem. So I'll be studying this tonight, another thing I wish I had done when I was much younger.

No comments:

Post a Comment